Friday, December 31, 2010

Avery's Par-TEA!

Hello peeps!  Did you miss me? I didn't think so. =)

I thought I'd pop on over here since we hosted a successful birthday for my daughter Avery yesterday. Here's how the year-in-the-making party evolved...

The thought of a tea party actually started when my mom and sister and I were in a little shop up north two summers ago and found little plates shaped like teapots.  My mom said, "That would be a cute theme some day when Ave is a little older!"  The planning for her party for last year was already well underway at that point. 

I loved Avery's birthday last year...the decorations were everything I love about parties.  Loved the flowers, loved the colors, loved everything.  So at that party my sister and I decided that she would use the same goods for my niece Finley's party.  I fixed everything up right away so that Finley could use it...but that only made me like it even more.

As I've said before, now that there are also 5 grandchildren on each side of our family, birthday parties seem to come so often so we've started to combine parties where we can.  At that party of Avery's last year I decided that Tate and Avery should probably have a family party together in January this next year instead of each having a separate one so my family could save on driving.  Long story short, I decided it would be perfect if I had a kids party for Aves right at her birthday time and then a family party later, which allowed me to REUSE her last year's decorations!!  Avery and I discussed a tea party theme {which turned into a par-TEA thanks to a great idea from my friend Heidi.  Thanks Heidi...love you!}.

I started collecting little things right away...in fact when I pulled it all out this past weekend my husband said "Haven't you had that for like a year?"  Well, yes, actually, I have.

Okay...talky, talky, yada, yada...onto the party.

First, the invitations...

Photobucket

We also decided somewhere along the line {probably about the time we decided to buy Ave an American Girl doll for her birthday} that we needed a twist, so we decided it would be a "dolly & me par-tea" instead, which could not have worked more perfectly.  Guests were asked to bring their favorite doll and to wear a dress or skirt.

The invitations were inspired by last year's flower theme and invitations so we could incorporate them, but also the biggest inspiration for the party:  this Michael Miller fabric which just so happened to coordinate with  the paper and fabric from last year perfectly.  Sometimes the stars just align.  Can you say that when you're talking about fabric?  Well, I just did.  So there.

Photobucket

Onto the actual party...we decided to have the party over lunch time so that we could incorporate a little lunch into the day.  The guests arrived at 11:00.  First the girls did a little running and playing in Avery's room.  This also allowed me 5 minutes to snap a few pics of the decor that I meant to take way earlier that morning, but you know how time flies and I was lucky I was dressed when the guests arrived!  I didn't even have time to put lipstick or jewelry on.  =)  I did manage to get Avery and her dolly Hadley into their dresses.

Photobucket

Most of the decor I put in our dining room for the tea party.  I also used a long table that I put on tubs on the floor so it would be the right height for the girls to sit by in our living room to do projects for the day.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

When all guests had arrived, I settled them down by letting each girl color their own teapot coloring sheet {which I designed and printed with each girl's name on it...except for Avery's!  She said, "Mom, don't I get one?!"  Oops!!  A couple seconds of designing and pushing print and we were all good!"}

Photobucket

When they were all done coloring, they each had a chance to make their own necklace with my favorite beads...if you have a daughter I would seriously suggest going and buying these...HOURS of fun!

Photobucket

Photobucket

These are two of my favorite photos from the day:
Paige showing me her jewelry and Ava's reflection in the mirror as she checks herself out...

Photobucket

After all guests were well adorned with necklaces, bracelets, and rings, we decided we better use the opportunity to get a group photo before anyone ate and got dirty.  So we put a hat on everyone {including their dolls!} and got a few pics.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

Since our littlest two guests wouldn't pose for a pic with Avery because they were too busy trying to retrieve the beads their moms told them they couldn't have, their little bums will have to do.

Then it was time for tea!  The menu consisted of deli sandwiches, fruit kabobs, macarons, and tea that strangely tasted something like apple fruit punch.  =)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The girls were so dainty and polite.  I loved every second of it!  While I cleaned up the table and got ready for cake my sister Kara painted the girls' faces.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Then is was time for the singing and cake,

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

After a quick round of gift opening, it was already time for the girls to go home.  They each brought home the teacup and saucer they used at the party, the necklace/bracelet/ring they made, and some candy.

Photobucket

I was disappointed that as the girls were leaving the mailman showed up with the box of crayons that I had ordered for the girls to color their teapots with.  =(  They are adorable and I am so sad to send them back.  

Photobucket

Overall it was such a great day.  We were tired and happy people when the girls left!

Happy 5th birthday, Avery Elaine!  Love you girl!

Photobucket

...................................

Vendor details...

Avery's dress:  *golden*
Doll dress:  Dressurdolly2

Teacup ring:  My Little Red Wagon

Macarons:  Sparkle's Kitchen 

Cake:  My BFF Tracie

Cake topper doll:  Lollipop Workshop

Poms:  PomLove

Teapot plates:  Plates and Napkins
 
Grass mats:  Heart to Heart

Name card holders:  beaucoup

Polka dotted tea sets:  Constructive Playthings

Teapot crayons:  Gaddy Nipper Crayons

All paper decorations and invitations were made my yours truly!

If you see anything else that I am forgetting, let me know...glad to give a shout out where one is due!

14 comments:

katie@tulsadetails said...

You did an adorable job, as always! Your kids are so lucky to have such a talented mom :)! Love all of the details. Everything was perfect!

Piggy Bank Parties said...

Another amazing party, Jess! I love that you reused the décor and created another unforgettable party!

Do @ Piggy Bank Parties

The Bregenzers said...

Wow! I think this one tops them all! SO cute! You did an amazing job, again!!

Jodee said...

Yes -- I missed you like crazy cakes, especially since I am already planning several parties for next year! I need your inspiration!

What a fabulous party! I love all of the little details! I am headed over to check out those grass mats. They would be perfect for an NFL party, don't you think?!

Hope you have a Happy New Year!

Sandi said...

Soooo cute! Love all the colors. Another great party!

GFdesigns said...

You are an amazing Mom and designer. I have really enjoyed reading your blog and seeing how creative each of your designs are. Thanks for sharing, you are great inspiration!!!

My Daily Circus said...

yes i did miss you for the record. and again you are AH mazing!

Erica said...

Happy New Year! You're awesome!

Christine said...

Hello! I love reading your blog. I was wondering if you could give me a few ideas for my daughter's party coming up in April. She will be turning 4. She has requested a "Disney's Tangled" themed party. any suggestions for decorations, cake, invitations, games, and favors, etc. would be much appreciated.

molly said...

Love love love this theme...my daughter will be 2 and I began planning her "tea for 2" party months ago...when I saw your daughter's party on your blog I was sooooo excited and totally inspired! Would you mind telling me where you found your brown favor bags? I was also wondering about the green grass mats...I checked out the website and wanted to know if you used one for each setting or were they big enough to cut?
Thanks so much :)

Michele said...

Such an adorable party! I love everything! Quick question - did you have a template for the party hats? I was going to make some this weekend and love the size of yours. Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

Alisa said...

This was gorgeous and truly an inspiration!

Sherri said...

This is absolutely adorable!

Anonymous said...

Just gorgeous. I live in Italy now with my husband and two small girls but the moment we get back to the States--and have access to your gorgeous ideas--we're coming to your site for inspiration.

Until then, we're focusing on food for kids at Foodlets, but I've added you to my blogroll for inspiration.