Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Happy Birthday PD & P!

One year.

One year ago today my dreams of a little shop on Etsy came true. I wrote this post, only the second ever I had written on this blog. I honestly had NO IDEA at the time what this would turn into.

This little company took on a life of its own. In fact, at times it has taken over the life that was my own. There have been moments when I was ready to hire an army and make this big. Then there have been moments when I have a reality check (also known as Eric Newman:) and I have pulled back a bit.

After 6 months of doing mostly custom work...all of which I loved, but that was eating into my life for practically no pay...I wrote this post. I stopped doing customs on Etsy, but continued to do them for friends and family. I launched 3 product lines. I launched a clothing line with some pretty amazing girls. I got to take a really fun trip. I have "met" a ton of wonderful moms, aunts, and grandmas who wanted to make their little one's birthday special. I have also "met" a lot of other really cool party girls in the business. I have had SO. MUCH. FUN.

So what's next?

Well...as I did at the six month mark E and I have had discussions about how things are going...both family AND business wise...and where we want things to go from here. Out of necessity I will be returning to my job teaching third grade (I really do LOVE teaching) this fall. I will miss days home with my kiddos, but I know they will probably adjust better than I.

As many of you have noticed on my schedule, I am currently booked through the end of 2009 for outside orders. My Etsy shop is currently closed...and in all reality I don't know if it will ever reopen. I have developed a little following here on this blog (THANK YOU ALL MY LOYAL READERS) and for quite some time I think I can stay busy by word of mouth...that is until the day I am ready to GO BIG on a huge website of my own. Please don't read this as I'm closing altogether, just closing Etsy!

I have a waiting list of sorts started for people to contact after November 1st when I decide how much work I will take on next year and whether or not I will hire help. If you want to get on that list, email me at polkadotsandpirates@gmail.com. It does not require any payment at this time.

In the meantime...I will be here. Blogging. Working my tail off after my kiddos are asleep. Twittering (follow me!). Answering your emails. And working on something that you may be interested in...especially all you DIYers...

I have a HUGE new project in the works. From the topics of emails I get almost daily I am guessing you're going to like it. I need a little more time to iron out all the details of a all out announcement, but I'll give you a hint...

Photobucket

Interested? More details coming soon. Promise.

Thank you to all of you for your continued support of this party girl. Sorry for the super long and maybe boring post. I promise back to the party tomorrow.

One year.

One stinkin' awesome year.

Gonna go throw some confetti at myself now. :)

XOXO,

Jess

14 comments:

Kim - The TomKat Studio said...

Congratulations on an amazing, successful year! I admire the decisions you have made, and the advice you have given me. I look forward to seeing what you come up with next! XOXO, Kim

Jodee said...

Congrats on one year! I can't believe it took me the entire year to find you. Where have I been?

I am so glad I get to have you do a couple of things before you close up shop.

Unknown said...

Congratulations! What an amazing year!

amy & lisa said...

Congrats on one year!! Yay for you! You are such an inspiration.

Good luck with the task of teaching kids. :)

sarah @ life {sweet} life said...

Congrats on one year! Your designs are amazing AND I'm looking forward to your announcement! I absolutely adore your product line. Good luck going back to teaching! I used to teach 2nd grade but took this year off and actually miss it. :)

Julie - On the Dot Creations said...

Congrats on a great year! Sounds like you have some wonderful things "in the works," and I look forward to learning more. :)

Newman said...

Did you really throw confetti at yourself? Just wondering if I will be vacuuming when I get home for lunch!

Andrea said...

Congratulations~I am very excited to see what your announcement is~I wish you the best of luck~ xoxo Andrea

Karen said...

Congratulations! Prayers and best wishes for what the future holds! I'll be watching for your announcement!

Dawn said...

CONGRATS JESS! We emailed back and forth back in February when I was working on the stuff for my son's bday party. I have kept up with you ever since. I'm so impressed. I'm really excited to see what's in store for you!!! Cheers! ~Dawn

Abby Marie said...

Congrats on a wonderful year! I can't wait to see what you're up to!

Kimberly Bee said...

Congrats on your one year.......wishing you many more successful years to come!

Unknown said...

Congrats to you Jess!! You have quit the following, which is no surprise as your products are one of a kind and done with perfection!

Jenn Hardie said...

Congrats on one year! You're a big inspiration.